[ NNSquad ] writeups, databases, wikis

Clearly we have to move to a database at some point.  I don't think
we need to go to that effort from day one, particularly since I'd
like to see the nature and quality (and initial quantity) of
returned data before we hash out such particulars.

I am not terribly enthusiastic about putting "raw" data on an
externally controlled online database.  I'm willing to be convinced
otherwise, but my view is that the sensitivity of such data (much of
which will be unconfirmed at least initially) would be better served
by a database under local control (and frankly, legal privacy
protections are more extensive in the latter case as well).

Without getting into a debate about the pros and cons of wikis,
I'll just state that my own experiences with them have been
markedly mixed.  I am concerned that a wiki environment might
encourage prolonged philosophical meandering over the writeups.

My own preference would be to see a set of volunteers who are expert
with given tools work out the first draft of the writeups, which
would then be reviewed and tuned by a wider group.  Whether or not a
wiki is the appropriate venue for that review process seems
problematic, but I'm not trying to dictate anything -- these are just
my personal ideas.

As we've already seen on the list, it's easy for these topics to
diverge into interesting but not necessarily productive discussions.
I really hope that we can keep our eye on the ball, even if that
means restraining some of our (and that includes me!) impulses toward
prolonged debating society-style activities.