[ NNSquad ] Re: "How to Patrol Your ISP"

> For this purpose of this discussion I see such a router as an opportunity to
> add measurement capabilities -- both probing and responding. I'm interested
> in what router code may already have these capabilities or, perhaps better,
> what a metering platform would be like since you don't really want to hard
> code it.

Yes, to the extent that hardware could be used this way it would
simplify things for users greatly.  Too bad that more and more of
these devices are based on proprietary platforms, where alternate
code often isn't practical.

And a related interesting question is how effectively we could
leverage existing SNMP capabilities in current hardware for our
purposes, perhaps via an encrypted measurement data collection
virtual network.