[ NNSquad ] Re: Internet User's Bill of Rights [was: Google Hijacked -- Major ISP to Intercept and Modify Web Pages

Sean was (as far as I understand) simply talking about IP packet reordering. A (modern) network will deliver all packets in a flow in the order that they were sent, but it is perfectly permissible for packets to arrive out of order. This can happen for a bunch of reasons -- from per-packet load-balancing (which is universally recognized as a bad idea these days) to path changes (if packet X is sent over a path that has 20ms latency and packet X+1 is sent over a path that has 10ms latency (eg: an MPLS LSP changes or a circuit goes down, etc), X +1 will arrive before X). Yes, TCP will deal with this, but the fact remains that IP is a best-effort service and FIFO queuing is not guaranteed, or in many networks even preferred.

Your ISP CAN and WILL drop packets during times of congestion -- the only reason that your ISP can over service anywhere near the price that they are is because of statistical multiplexing and oversubscription.

Also, most of the "HTTP Hijacking" is performed with DNS tricks or transparent cache redirection. It is much simpler and cheaper to push things through a proxy to insert stuff into the HTTP than to perform some sort of TCP session MITM (which requires specialized things in the data path, etc..).