[ NNSquad ] Incident Report: (old but useful) RCN Official: We Limit Internet-Bound P2P streams, RCN-to-RCN okay

Just for data collection purposes.

RCN is an Cable-Voice-Internet provider serving about 5 major markets
in the East and Mid-West USA, approximately 500,000 customers.  Their
network is interconnected by fiber.

In December 05, in the RCN forums, users reported having trouble
uploading via BitTorrent.  Nobody, including RCN support, could
explain why.  One month and 200 messages later, Jason Nealis,
Director, Operations of RCN explained that uploads were being
"deprioritized."

My attention was drawn to this due to a recent article on DSLReports
[4].  For the past couple of weeks, users began to report seeing
messages such as "Connection reset by peer" in their logs. When it
became front-page news on DSLReports, Jason Nealis again responded by
saying that they were having trouble with their P2P enforcement device
[5].

At the moment, the problem seems fixed but the discrimination policy stays.

After spending 20 minutes on their help site (which does seem to
provide full access from their extranet), I can find no mention of
this "de-prioritization" policy or behavior  in either their
2000-entry FAQs database or their various TOS pages.

1. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r15338386-Jan06_RCN_Discloses_P2P_Uploading_Discrimination

2. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r14997671-Dec05_RCN_Users_Report_BitTorrent_Upload_Disruptions

3. http://www.rcn.com/

4. http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/RCN-Resolves-BitTorrent-Issue-90340