[ NNSquad ] Re: Catch-22 for sending email

On 12/24/2007 04:40 PM, Robb Topolski wrote:
On 12/22/07, Dave Kristol <dmk-nnsquad@kristol.org> wrote:
It would be nice if Comcast were a bit more transparent in this case.  I'll be
interested to get other ISPs' side of this.

I'm not an ISP, but I'm with Comcast on not giving out the address of the complainer -- if it really was a complainer (they could have accidentally hit the "Report Spam" button while your party e-mail was selected).

I could see why an ISP might not want to give out an address, but why couldn't I get the subject line? Or the timestamp? I could match it to my message and know the list of people who were invited and try to track back to see who might have sent it.

As for "listwashing", yes, I could imagine how someone might try to do that. But for a message with 20 recipients? Sheesh, I'd have to be a very small-scale spammer to care about 20 addresses.

The "Report Spam" is the best explanation I've gotten. A number of recipients use AOL or Yahoo! mail.

Dave Kristol