[ NNSquad ] Re: Speculation, how AT&T can implement "copyright filtering" without wiretapping/dpi...

On Jan 28, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Nick Weaver wrote:
Thus all the schemes for "video DNA" and "audio DNA" tracking are
robust in the arms race, at least with a bit of effort.

I believe you're grossly underestimating the power of even the existing tools for obfuscation, as well as the ingenuity of the programmers involved.

Encryption is not my field, however I have implemented a few encryption and/or obfuscation routines in my time, as well as a few media identification algorithms, and I'm fairly confident that it will always be easier to come up with new ways to hide digital media DNA than it is to come up with ways to accurately identify that hidden DNA amongst the oceans of data streaming across the 'net. It's difficult enough to accurately automatically identify a media stream when it's *not* obfuscated, given the number of encoding permutations in use. When someone is actively working to prevent that identification *and* you need to have an identification method that's efficient enough to be run in real time on the quantities of traffic in question, well...

Keep in mind that: A) at least in the case of video or audio, we're not talking about identifying bit-for-bit copies, but rather digital streams encoded using any one of hundreds of scheme and parameter permutations, each of which results in a distinctly different binary stream, and B) because the obfuscater can count on a human being available to play a part in the de-obfuscation of any content before use, they can take advantage of obfuscation techniques that are impossible (or at least impractical) to wholly implement in content identification software.

ANYWAY, to get back to the original point, the spidered blocking idea certainly has merit, if applied judiciously with due process. Fortunately that due process will likely involve some degree of human judgement, which will mean that possible problem content identification can be far less accurate (and thus far more viable to implement) without inflicting collateral damage on the innocent.

Ed