[ NNSquad ] Verizon: "We don't want to inspect bits ... "

> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9861402-7.html
>
> Apparently not all carriers are so eager to start playing with
> intermediary liability.

Just to emphasize the point -- and to give credit where credit is
due -- the comments by Verizon Executive Vice President Tom Tauke are
very important.  Most notably:

   -- "... we really don't want to assume the role of being police on
           the Internet."

   -- Concerns that "pirated content" filtering could morph into
      all manner of other monitoring responsibilities (child porn?
      gambling?)

   -- A preference for the DMCA notification regime

   -- "We don't want to get into the business of inspecting the
       bits and figuring out what is and is not appropriate traffic."