[ NNSquad ] Re: More on Verizon's rejection of AT&T's attitude toward filtering

{Lauren -- I realize that I'm repeating myself but think of it is as
iterating -- as we drill down on these issues again and again the
fundamental dysfunctional pattern keeps reemerging so it's worth sharpening
the point}

The ISPs are not just delivery people -- they are delivery people with their
own private infrastructure and that infrastructure exists only for the
purposes of making deliveries.

It's not so much that we don't have a competitive market but the
architecture of the market. It is defined in terms of delivery and services.
It is not defined in terms of the raw transport -- there is no concept of
the road in the Regulatorium -- it's treated as another service.

Having a free market is not enough if it's a dysfunctional marketplace. The
problem is in the very idea of value being in the network and in a
provider's services. Today the value comes from how we use the network. The
reason we accept the idea that bytes are expensive is that we think the
network itself is expensive. But once we see networking as something we do
ourselves we can look at the one-time cost of the physical infrastructure --
it's far less than sidewalks, sewers or whatever. We accept this because
today's applications are sufficiently valuable to cover the costs but that's
begging the question - what would be possible if we didn't have a huge tax.

SMS is a great example -- those bits are charged at a very high price. If
there really were a cost associated with an SMS message than we'd want to
minimize the cost but instead you have to send many packets to track the
message so you can bill for it. Those messages would far exceed the actually
SMS message itself. But unlike the SMS message I'm sure that those billing
messages are carefully handled so they don't get lost.

To go back to the delivery model -- imagine email in this model. The Post
Office stamp 41¢ (?) makes a lot of sense until you notice that they've
replaced their infrastructure and we are sending email. Fortunately we never
confused email with postal mail. Yet we still think there is something such
as a phone call even when it's a bit stream over IP.

Can we afford to have the carriers limit value creation to what servers
their needs while starving an economy that is in desperate need of value?