[ NNSquad ] Port 25 spoofing and e-mail security/privacy issues

Greetings.  Over on the NNSquad Forum, there's a query from a reader
regarding ISPs who are reportedly spoofing SMTP port 25 to divert input
e-mail traffic to the ISPs' own servers, preventing the e-mail from reaching
the addressed customer e-mail input servers
( http://forums.pfir.org/main/messages/714/828.html?1203372718 ).

While this particular person appears not to be especially troubled by this
behavior, such diversions could trigger obvious security and privacy
concerns.

While I've heard of this sort of spoofing taking place in limited
circumstances such as hotel Internet access networks and the like, I'd
appreciate input from the readership regarding any broader
implementations of such spoofing, especially by major ISPs.

Thanks.