[ NNSquad ] Re: As predicted: The BitTorrent vs. "traffic shaping" arms race

From Comcast's perspective, the issue is allocating bandwidth fairly among users and rationally among applications. VoIP needs better service than BitTorrent from the standpoint of latency and jitter, so the desire to demote the priority of BT uploads or to ration BT's upload sessions is sound network management on a link with low intrinsic throughput in the upstream direction. The Comcast network was tuned for HTTP and now has to deal with a different mix of traffic, so naturally it manages the applications (or flows, if you will) that are farthest from their provisioning assumptions.

And while BT is popular these days with a small group of people, the majority of Comcast's users are still more concerned about good HTTP performance than about seeding lots of new torrents.

RB

Vint Cerf wrote:
Richard,

I don't think this is a circular argument. The attempt to identify particular protocols by traffic analysis is not the same as simply detecting and moderating a high capacity flow. this is where your interpretation of my remark differs from my intent. I would much rather see a clear statement that rate limiting is in effect regardless of either protocol or destination (or source) than to have the kind of bludgeon used by Comcast applied only to a specific protocol which may, in fact, NOT be consuming excessive resources.

I also hope that ISPs don't arbitrarily suppress flows as long as the aggregate among all users of the common access pipe doesn't overload the system.

vint