[ NNSquad ] Re: FCC Hearing tomorrow (Monday, 25-02-2008)

> At 03:56 PM 2/24/2008, Lauren Weinstein wrote:
>
> >   [ Do we know for a fact that the opponents of the petitions even
> *asked*
> >     for technical presentation time?

> >     Similarly, is there any indication that opponents of the petitions
> >     who wished to participate were refused?
>
> I asked for both and was turned down. And I was willing to fly to
> Boston from Wyoming!
>
>    [ On what grounds were your requests denied?
>
>          -- Lauren Weinstein
>             NNSquad Moderator ]

It is unfortunate that Brett was not added.  As a small independent
operator, Brett is neither part of the duopoly, nor is he a purchaser of
"last-mile" service.

Fortunately, Richard Bennett is on the agenda, I am familiar with his views,
and he has most of Brett's interests well at hand.  He's not a perfect
proxy, but he is a good one, IMHO.

(Note: I do not find myself agreeing with either of them very often, but I
am inclined to consider what they say and I have learned from both of them.)

Brett has already filed his written response to the FCC. Brett could have
appeared in Boston and recorded his response at the hearing site.  These are
also being made part of the record.

He may also upload his response to Vuze (still can, I believe).  I am not
sure if this final method becomes part of the official record.

Based on what I'm hearing and reading, the FCC commissioners are going to be
especially interested in the views of small, independent operators like
Brett.  I encourage him to continue to pursue this, but I also warn him that
they've heard and will hear plenty of bluster from the big operators that
serve 97% of broadband providers.

He will be well advised to focus on his unique observations, needs and
concerns as a wireless ISP, someone who competes with these big companies
without either "open access" or the use of public infrastructure.  While he
might mention those problems and views that he has in common with those
large operators, he should focus his efforts on getting them to understand
how they are different.

My $0.02

Robb Topolski