[ NNSquad ] Re: Pakistan YouTube block routing changes disrupt YouTube worldwide

Having spent a lot of time in and worked with developing regions, there are many archaic laws if not draconian ones whereby blasphemy, hurting the sentiments of minorities, etc. are criminal acts.

IMHO, this isn't an issue of NN per se, just complying with really stupid/misguided laws.

I remember the relatively recent issue in India where someone was (falsely) arrested for posting inflammatory stuff on Orkut (Google's MySpace equivalent, big in Brazil and India), stuff that actually let to some mild violence. The person arrested was handed over by his ISP, who matched his IP address. Turns out they got it wrong, but he still spent days in prison. :( [makes me wonder about keeping my open WiFi access point!]
e.g.,
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Wrong_man_jailed_for_50_days/articleshow/2513737.cms

A government is always free to say that content X is illegal. Drugs, bombs, pedophilia, denying the holocaust, etc. The challenge is how we deal with it. By taking down an entire domain? That then shifts the onus of policing - but is that upon the ISP or on the application/service provider? An ISP can only block a set of IP addresses, unless they start examining content. So in that sense, it's "better" ala NN they banned YouTube than forcing ISPs to block specific content within YouTube.

Rahul

Rahul Tongia, Ph.D.
Senior Systems Scientist

Program in Computation, Organizations, and Society (COS)
School of Computer Science (ISR) /
Dept. of Engineering & Public Policy

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA