[ NNSquad ] Re: Pakistan YouTube block routing changes disrupt YouTube worldwide

Similar debates were held in the past when companies like Google or Yahoo!
Filtered content in China.  I know everyone wants a neutral Internet.  Some
believe that since it connects different countries around the world it
somehow transcends the sovereignty of individual nations and is held to some
higher-order.  I don't believe that and support the enforcement of local
laws wherever they are, within that particular part of the Internet.

There will undoubtedly be analogies, and it's important that if any are used
to describe the censorship of any material from the Internet that we use an
agreed upon "bad" practice or content.  Hence, I would submit that child
pornography is a universally despised, twisted, and evil thing.  I would
hope that everyone would agree that is content that should be filtered (how
it is filtered or banned is a completely different topic).  Yes, there are
stupid laws that ban other things, like anti-government speech, religious
speech, etc.  However, it is important to know that it is each sovereign
nation's responsibility to govern themselves, and make the laws or other
social structures to run their society.  Hence, if some backwards country
bans something that you think is not right, then don't live there, do
something to try and change the law if you do live there, or if it is that
threatening to human dignity and rights do something about it if you do not
live there (sanctions, embargo's, war).

So, with that said, I think it would only be logical to agree that any
country has the sovereign right to make their own laws and enforce them.  If
that means that the government forces companies to comply with the law then
I have no problem with that.  If that means forcing a company like Google or
Yahoo! From filtering certain content, that is fine.  If it means EBay can't
sell Nazi memorabilia in France, then that's fine.  If it means that
Pakistan filters out certain content because it is religiously offensive,
that is fine.

If there is a mistake made, and content that is not banned by the laws of a
country are filtered, then that is obviously regretful and should be
rectified as soon as possible.

This also ties into network neutrality in another way.  The same way I
believe countries can ban certain content, I also believe each country has
the right to ban certain practices that would ban certain content.  Without
getting into specific analogies, there are plenty of examples where
governments have laws that say if you are getting into business to sell X
service you must comply with these regulations and provide X service, or
have X safety measures, or follow X reporting practices, etc.  ISP's and the
Internet are no different than any other business in this regard.  They can
be regulated, and in certain instances I believe they should be regulated,
just like any other business.

Some, particularly ISP's, will complain, saying it isn't fair, or that it
would put them out of business.  Well, if they are the laws of the land,
either follow them, try to change them if you are in a particular country
that has them, move to another country, or if they are egregious enough to
affront human dignity and rights do something about them if they are not in
your country (sanctions, embargo, war).

I don't think it could be put any more generic than that.  I believe in a
neutral Internet, meaning anything goes, except for situations where as a
society we agree, either through actual laws or through regulations enforced
by a government entity given the right to do so through laws, where certain
content or practices are unacceptable.  This means that if Bit Torrent, or
any other protocol or practice, were evil enough to ban it, interfere with
its content, etc, that we should have specific laws enacted that allow such
censorship.  We don't, therefore such banning or interference is against the
law and should not be allowed.

Remember we are specifically talking about Internet service here.  As
mentioned by someone else, we are not talking about "ISP Y's Custom Filtered
Network, Where You Have Some Connectivity to the Internet" service.  If
companies want to sell their service as such, then that's fine by me, just
don't call it "Internet access" or for that matter call yourself an ISP.

Also, remember the point about mistakes.  If there is illegal content being
transferred in torrents, then that is obviously breaking the law and should
be stopped.  It is the responsibility of the government to enforce the law.
They can get warrants to search someone's property or otherwise examine
things that they normally would not.  If you are an ISP and outright ban
torrent traffic you would undoubtedly be "enforcing" the law, even though it
is not your responsibility or right to do so, but you would also undoubtedly
be banning legitimate traffic, and that in and of itself is against the law
(or should be, that's what our government is debating right now).

Fred Reimer