[ NNSquad ] Re: David P. Reed, nnsquad member, kicks ass at the FCC hearing!!

Jeffrey S. Young wrote:
WRT standards, I come at this from a provider's point of view:

IMHO, the standards making process in the Internet is a bit different
than that of other technology standards bodies (perhaps compare
the IETF and IEEE).  The IEEE publishes real standards and if your
equipment doesn't abide them, it doesn't work with similar equipment.

You obviously never had to write a device driver.

I maintained the ATA (IDE) driver for Solaris for two years. The standard is pretty straightforward. Load up a few registers and let 'er rip. You need to pay attention to which modes are supported (as reported by the response to IDENTIFY DEVICE).

What makes the driver complex is that about half the devices on the market _don't comply_ with the standard. Some controllers use a common control register for both devices, so you can't overlap operations even though the standard claims you can. Some devices claim they do DMA, but it doesn't work -- or it doesn't work at the speed they claim it does. Almost the entire driver is special cases, recognizing specific devices and working around their glitches.

Internet 'standards' are more or less recommendations that are either
deployed or are ignored.   The two communities that influence what
becomes a true IETF standard and what is relegated to "informational"
status are the ISP's and the user community.

In the ISP community, if the standards solve a problem, give an
ISP a competitive advantage, they are deployed, if not they are ignored
 (i.e. BGP4 vs. sBGP or soBGP, DNS and DNSsec,  IPv6 and so on).

The same is true of the IEEE standards. If there is a higher adherence to them, it's because companies that don't comply find their product doesn't sell. And if they can gain a competitive advantage by doing something else, they probably will.

Those of use with long memories may recall a controversy when it was discovered that one company (Sun Micro?) had set their backoff times to be 10% shorter than the standard, so that their devices were more likely to win "collision wars" and hence showed better results in performance benchmarks.

The bad publicity _did_ get them to return to standards compliance, so overall I guess the 'standard' worked.

Deployment wins!

Equally true everywhere. I'm not a hardware engineer, but I talked to several. All agreed that Sony's Beta system was technically superior to JVC's VHS. Ten years later it was almost impossible to buy a Beta machine -- VHS had won the deployment battle.

I don't know if this was just because VHS allowed you to put more on a tape, or because of some unfortunate design decisions in the early Betamax recorders (e.g., connecting the capstan to the drive motors with a rubber band, which would gradually stretch and then start to slip, producing unreadable tapes).