[ NNSquad ] Civil Rights Groups Wants P2P Throttling to Preserve Rights (or something like that)

It is sort of hard to know where to begin when confronted with ignorance like this:

"The U.S. Federal Communications Commission should allow broadband providers to manage their networks and slow "bandwidth hogs," despite concerns that such practices arbitrarily target some customers, said a coalition of seven civil rights groups."

"Net neutrality rules for broadband providers would protect bandwidth hogs at the expense of other customers and civic organizations, said the coalition, which includes the National Black Chamber of Commerce, Latinos in Information Sciences and Technology Association, League of Rural Voters and National Council of Women's Organizations."

"The coalition filed comments with the FCC Thursday in the agency's inquiry into Comcast's slowing of some P-to-P (peer-to-peer) traffic. "Regulations prohibiting network management risk undermining free speech on the Internet by allowing P2P traffic to overwhelm the network and prevent non-P2P traffic from reaching its destination," the coalition said in its filing. "The effective prioritization of P2P traffic would represent an altogether new type of 'back of the bus' second-class status for our speech on broadband networks -- and ought to be resoundingly rejected." "

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/022908-civil-rights-groups-fcc-should.html?code=nldailynewsam125479

Apparently I woke up in everything is opposite land this morning, at least that is how I read their 'thinking', and I use the term loosely.

Ron.

Ronald D. Edge
Director of Information Systems
Indiana University Intercollegiate Athletics
edge@indiana.edu (812)855-9010 http://iuhoosiers.com

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
If you can fake that, you've got it made.
--Groucho Marx