From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To: Vint Cerf; Edge, Ronald D <edge@indiana.edu>
Cc: 'nnsquad@nnsquad.org' <nnsquad@nnsquad.org>
Sent: Wed Mar 05 09:08:37 2008
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Re: Civil Rights Groups Wants P2P Throttling  to Preserve	Rights (or	something like that)

At 08:54 AM 3/5/2008, Vint Cerf wrote:

>these people don't seem to recognize that the interference of the
>broadband providers is an abridgment of their ability to speak.
>amazing. welcome to 1984, you have entered a time warp. Maybe this is
>the Bizarro planet.

Three very important points.

Firstly, while the Constitution guarantees a right to free speech,
it still allows government to regulate the "time, place, and
manner" of speech. For example, you might be restricted from
speaking in a way that violates others' rights (e.g. by a noise
ordinance that prohibited you from driving through neighborhoods
with a loudspeaker truck at 3 AM). Similarly, you might be
restricted from using BitTorrent, which degrades others' service
and thus harms THEIR ability to speak and also to receive speech.

Secondly, the Constitution applies to government, not private
parties. You have no Constitutional right, for example, to go into
a privately owned theater, get up on the stage, and disrupt the
performance, no matter what you have to say. Likewise, you do not
have the right to abuse a privately owned network so as to speak.

Thirdly, any speech which can be communicated via BitTorrent or
other P2P protocols can also be communicated via other ones. If a
speaker chooses to distribute speech exclusively via a protocol
which is prohibited by most Internet users' contracts, he or she
should expect that it won't reach many people. Anyone can post an
ordinary Web site -- and should, if he or she wants the widest
distribution for his or her speech. And that site will have the
advantage of being able to be indexed by Google. ;-)

--Brett Glass