[ NNSquad ] Re: Curious, as comcast takes a beating, Verizon gets away easy?

Brett,

They advertise it as "internet service" which it is *almost*. I wasn't asking for pity, but pointing out the "easy pass" of the Verizon's VP statement "we don't do that" when in fact, they achieve the very same goal as comcast via another, carefully hidden technique. I must admit, technically, it's a very clever design, and I was quite impressed when I "black box tested" it to quantify its full characteristics. (it's nearly patent worthy :-) )

I personally am not a bandwidth hog compared to what you likely deal with. My total inbound/outbound last month were 4/6Gbytes respectively on a 20/5Mbps service. Now, even if I used 500Gbytes/mo in both directions, that's still less than a T1's worth of bandwidth for the month. That doesn't mean that I don't spike up to double or triple that when I wish to download the next kubuntu/sabayon/gentoo/etc dvd release (available only via bittorent in several cases), but I'm still a drop in the bucket compared to my overall capacity.

If you'd like to call me a hog at that level, I'll accept the label and laugh it off as a misunderstanding on both our parts as I previously didn't state my overall usage. Seriously, no offense taken or intended.

I've also run data centers, written AUPs and TOS's, and the listed below are "standard cut and paste tripe" which mean basically nothing to me, as a highly technical user.

I pay (in several colos) less for a continuous Mbps of bandwidth than I do for extra IP addresses. The wholesale market on bandwidth in my specific residential location (we just did an RFP for a 40Mbps layer 3 service so I've got the pricing in hand; the office park is less than 2 miles from my residence) is less than $20/Mbps including local loop, and there are better deals to be had. (by verizon business, they'll give me a 50/50 for $200/month including static IP address space and all.....which by the way, I'm able to purchase for my home and have it enabled the next business day. For the business office park, it's actually more difficult, as the fiber plant ends at the street, and thus requires landlord permission, planning and so on.)

Just so you'll get an idea of the construction of the FIOS network, in older installations, it's BPON with 622Mbps shared among 32 homes. In the newer ones, it's GPON, with 2.488 gigabits per second (Gbit/s) of downstream bandwidth, and 1.244 Gbit/s of upstream bandwidth shared among 32 homes. My first router hop is in the verizon newark NJ facility(40 minute drive from here), and heads straight to 111 8th Ave in NYC, where "everyone knows your name" :) Bandwidth in that building is available for under $10/Mbps on small contracts. Verizon of course has the old MCI backbone, thus they typically peer settlement free, their cost being about $500k per peering node for equipment and colocation space to interconnect to 5-10 peers.

So, I paid Verizon some $50 for their service last month, and used about $3 worth of bandwidth. I'd say I'm one of their best customers around. I've also had numerous friendly discussions with tech support, and they know full well that I've bypassed their router and changed it into a bridge in order to use my own, more capable and secure firewall. Not once have they objected, and typically are curious as to how well it works. (no support of course, other than a requested DHCP lease break when need be, although they've told me how to deal with that on my own as well so I don't have to sit in the support call tree; very decent folks actually).

Best regards,
andy
p.s. Brett, as I've said numerous times, your service is what you advertise it to be. I have no issue with that at all.

Brett Glass wrote:
[Lauren: I realized after sending my earlier reply that I could make this
posting more informative and useful to the list if I included the relevant
clauses from Verizon's ToS. -BG]