[ NNSquad ] Re: BT [UK] calls for action on net speeds

One of the facets of my original GIMAA concept
( http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000303.html ) and carried over here
to the NNSquad project) is the development and wide deployment of
software to run on end-user systems that would (as just one factor
among a variety of NNSquad-relevant measurements) help to gather more
accurate throughput and bandwidth data.  A key issue in most
consumers' purchase of Internet access services is advertised
speed -- but what are they really getting for their money?

By using a vastly deployed end-user structure for such measurements
on essentially an opt-in P2P basis (rather than relying primarily on
subscriber-accessed central measurement servers) a more accurate
picture of such parameters over time should be possible (and these
distributed measurements can still be centrally coordinated
for analysis and to minimize associated traffic loads).