[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast increasing compression of some HD sources

This is very central to NN because the arguments based on scarcity are based on a telco view of the world in which there are standards that must be met whereas the Internet is about discovering what you can do with what you have. Thus protecting cherished applications punished clever solutions.

For example, if I want to create a video with wide distribution I might send the animation instructions for objects using _javascript_ or Flash or whatever. I wouldn’t render it as video first and then compress it. Yet the latter is what is done now because they are forced into sending video bits not objects. And then they are told they are wasting bandwidth.

At CES there were a number of demos of taking an SD signal and interpolating to remove the jaggies that mean "not HD".

Of course this all presumes video because we need it to be high resolution video because otherwise we wouldn’t be using up enough capacity to create the crises we are trying to solve.

The other important factor as I've mentioned is that we assume we have a "Tragedy of the Commons" which is a bovine problem -- cows take up a lot of space and consume resources and you don’t want to walk behind them for too long. With IP we have a flow that allows everyone a "fair" share -- if you have 10 people they each should get 10% of the of the slots for packets. Even if you have oversubscription they should be able to get their 10% -- the problem is that we've promised them each 100%.

But 100% of what -- we are used to 10x improvements in capacity as per Moore's law. I refer to the absence of such increases as a criminal violation of Moore's law. When you drill down the violation is not so much due to explicit attempts to prevent it (even though they are rife) but the coupling of markets or elements. Thus the separation of software from hardware was the real enabler of hyper-growth in computing -- not physics itself. Same for the TCP-IP separation.

The real problem then is associating services with a particular transport. And the artificial peering system we have that creates billable events for no purpose other than creating billable events. It's a funding model that requires scarcity and prevents over-provisioning or even using the capacity we have let alone more -- and it's so cheap that adding more is a nonissue. The so called fiber-bubble shows what happens when you don't prevent hyper-growth in a marketplace that is out of whack.

Again and again over-provisioning is the solution while QoS cannot create new capacity -- only punish innovation.

So Comcast is very clever in focusing on Bit Torrent and then making nice just like a magician uses misdirection. OK, they may not have been clever but the effect is the same. We are blind to the utter and complete lack of neutrality for the other 99% of the capacity of the local distribution let alone the total lack of neutrality for wireless.

That's the real problem and we ignore it because we are so focused on the other hand that we can't see the magician palming our infrastructure and leaving the stage with all the loot while we dive for the pennies (1% (as in cents) of the take) that they throw out to the crowd.

And we demand 1920x1200 as if was 1995 and that was high solution -- as type this on my 2500x1600 (or so) screen where 1920x1200 is a tiny image. But no problem -- when I do view HD over IP it looks very good scaled up -- who cares about the pixels? If the story is good I'll watch it on my watch. If it's not then who cares at all. If I’m a sports fan I’d want more views than more sweat (well, some sport fans).

So we why do we settle for neutral sharing of the pain rather than demanding the neutrality that comes from a real marketplace -- neutrality of opportunity not neutrality of faux promises.