[ NNSquad ] Congestion - what and where?

[I am re-focusing my comments to issues pertinent to NN and the Net, and removed older portions of the discussions. I also don't think we are in strong disagreement. - Rahul]

Neil,

The main issue is congestion, and what to do about it.
1) Where does congestion occur? Near the end points, or in the middle?

Power systems sometimes have congested transmission capacity, but generation limits are usually more of a bottleneck. In the net, server capacity was the old bottleneck. P2P changed some of that, in theory. It's worth emphasizing that electricity load need not be as binary as you stated, especially when aggregated up to points of any bottleneck. It's very rarely the last hop that is congested in power grids, while in cable systems (or other shared, e.g., wireless) these are more likely to be. In power systems, the retailing utility is unlikely to be the physical point of bottleneck (utilizing transmission and generation entities upstream), unlike ISPs who work with backbones, and then servers. Thus, the net world is more complicated and possibly worse off.

2) Was congestion unplanned/unexpected?

Electricity in the US grows by a few % per year (or so), and in places like India/China, by 5-16%. The Internet can see growth 10x this rate. Does that imply carrier costs will rise by 10x? Not really. Carriers must be in the position to meet anticipated demand. Certainly they can and should charge for it, but, like the power world, we deal with a lot of averaging. Most power consumers don't pay based on the share they contribute to coincident peak demand. [the larger few consumers may]. I don't pay for for my net connection based on congestion.

This relates to expectations. Most people want a flat rate for a given pipe (retail). That is certainly the case for a backbone connection, sold in STMs/OCs/GigE. Is a system based on not just USAGE but perhaps CONGESTION unfair? Not inherently, and it may be more efficient, but there may be enormous overhead, and it may be counter to expectations. Far trickier is how demand could shift in response.

3) What are the options for overcoming congestion?

There are only two - add supply or reduce (perhaps shift) demand. It's worth emphasizing a difference between power and the Net. While it takes a few hours to ramp up *an existing coal plant*, and, as you stated, days to months to add capacity on the Net, adding generation or transmission capacity in power systems takes years.

Can we realistically determine marginal congestion charges? Could or should this be by application? I'm not sure just yet. For one, people can spoof ports. Overcoming such issues then requires adding layers of authentication. = $$$$. I never cease to be underestimated by how people respond to such things. In the 1930s, the power companies would use analog radio signals to control water boilers (peak load). And consumers were paid to participate. Then some folks figured out all they had to do was essentially cover their antennas with foil/wire. Viola.

I don't have a sense of how complex or meaningful such granular pricing would be for the Net. In the electricity world, a few people talk of "Prices to Devices". That's a very fundamental shift not to be taken lightly. The same can be said for the Net (to applications). IF we can do it in a transparent, lightweight manner, then it may be a good thing. I just don't know. Who gets to decide how to allocate scarcity? We could allocate it equally, but we all know that the value (and price) of a bit varies in the market, going from SMS/text msgs on one hand to cable video on the other extreme.

Rahul

Neil Davies wrote:
> Rahul
>
> 2008/6/12 Rahul Tongia <tongia@cmu.edu <mailto:tongia@cmu.edu>>:
>
> Neil,
>
> I admit any comparisons between electricity and the Internet have
> to be simplified, and storing bits changes the temporal issue
> somewhat. Storage could span from milliseconds to infinite, and
> also be along midpoints (including so-termed p4p). I also think
> we're in "vigorous agreement" about many of these issues! :)
> Please relook at my post for the subtleties of how localization
> matters differently for the power grid vs. the Internet. You
> mention economic incentives for people to modify their traffic
> incentives, and it working well. That's great, but I speculate
> the improvements are relatively local (?).
>

> I don't believe that they are local - small changes in the behaviour
> of the "average" consumer make substantial differences to the offered
> load at any ISP. The rise of use of streaming in the UK (iPlayer from
> the BBC) being a case in point - each active iPlayer user is
> approximately doubling the peak bandwidth costs in the ISP's cost
> model (which is how the wholesale ISPs are charged), it is
> translating to about 20%-25% increase in the costs.
>
> In the approach that we're using we are (by collective agreement)
> giving higher preference to the more interactive activity during peak
> hours, we have the controls to run the transmission capacity at high
> utilization (~100%) while delivering the packets of the more
> interactive traffic with suitable low delay and low loss.
>
> The bulk transfers still complete quickly enough and interactive users
> don't even notice their effect. Economically we are using what would
> have been a DSL link that would nomally support 1 or 2 users to
> support 10 to 15 times that number.
>
> As we are saying the real economic cost is in the provision of the
> peak supply - and data networks take a lot longer to increase that
> supply (days or months) than electricity networks.
> >

> Consider this example that shows some differences at a broader
> scale. If we hadgigabit connections per user, and want to watch a
> movie, one can get a reasonable buffer built up in seconds, even
> for a HD movie.
>

> When using, say, TCP transmission speed is not the critical factor.
> Round trip time is critical to starting the streaming (to get the
> arrival rate >= the streaming rate), low loss rate is essential to
> maintaining the streaming (keeping congestion management at bay). Yes
> transmission rate represents a minimum lower bound - but once achieved
> it is not the critical factor.
> >
> Electricity congestion (peak summer) is likely to go away so
> soon, and the ability to react (by the grid) is MUCH slower,
> except for spinning reserve which is 5-10% of the capacity (any
> more becomes very expensive).
>
> Turning on a coal plant takes upto 2 hours to go full steam. >
>
> Interesting, I would say that the situation is entirely the opposite.
> [...]

Rahul Tongia, Ph.D.
Senior Systems Scientist

Program in Computation, Organizations, and Society (COS)
School of Computer Science (ISR) /
Dept. of Engineering & Public Policy

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA