[ NNSquad ] Re: nnsquad Digest, Vol 2, Issue 137 (Substantive)

2008/6/16 Rahul Tongia <tongia@cmu.edu>:
[I am re-focusing my comments to issues pertinent to NN and the Net, and removed older portions of the discussions.  I also don't think we are in strong disagreement. - Rahul]

Neil,

The main issue is congestion, and what to do about it.

The issue is not congestion but the effect that the congestion has on the data streams flowing through a point.

Congestion/saturation will always be present, at some location at some time, in any data network. It is at this point that the electricity analogy starts to get in the way - the "force carrier" is not homogeneous, as with electricity, it is directed and specific.

1) Where does congestion occur? Near the end points, or in the middle?

Potentially in all three - but mainly at the end-points and in the access network before those networks. It is the effects that it induces in the streams that are important - the delay and loss.

Power systems sometimes have congested transmission capacity, but generation limits are usually more of a bottleneck.  In the net, server capacity was the old bottleneck. P2P changed some of that, in theory.  It's worth emphasizing that electricity load need not be as binary as you stated, especially when aggregated up to points of any bottleneck.  It's very rarely the last hop that is congested in power grids, while in cable systems (or other shared, e.g., wireless) these are more likely to be.  In power systems, the retailing utility is unlikely to be the physical point of bottleneck (utilizing transmission and generation entities upstream), unlike ISPs who work with backbones, and then servers.

This is where the analogy really breaks - the flow of electricity has a inherent feedback mechanism that creates back pressure (with the information about the issue flowing at the speed of light) - data networks have to generate their feedback - either implicitly or explicitly - and their explicit feedback is in the data stream.

2) Was congestion unplanned/unexpected?
Electricity in the US grows by a few % per year (or so), and in places like India/China, by 5-16%.  The Internet can see growth 10x this rate.  Does that imply carrier costs will rise by 10x? Not really. Carriers must be in the position to meet anticipated demand.  Certainly they can and should charge for it, but, like the power world, we deal with a lot of averaging.  Most power consumers don't pay based on the share they contribute to coincident peak demand.  [the larger few consumers may]. I don't pay for for my net connection based on congestion.

There are people who think that you *should* pay for congestion - but let's ignore that, paying for something that someone else created is not going to fly.

Again I think that analogy of electricity leads us into false assumptions.  Most electricity consumers (I would assume) have a very small peak to mean usage ratio - say 4 or 5 to 1; a data network user has a ratio that might range from 2,000 to 10,000 to 1.  Any electricity user that could place that sort of variability in load on a electricity system would be classed as a "large" user and start getting charged by their peak power factor, not their KWh usage.

Continuing that theme, a small change in end user behaviour (say a new app) can create a tremendous change in the cost base for supporting that user. It has been estimated, for example, that  the cost of supporting a  "iPlayer" user (BBC streaming again sorry) as opposed to a non-iPlayer user doubles their access network bandwidth costs.

This relates to expectations.  Most people want a flat rate for a given pipe (retail). That is certainly the case for a backbone connection, sold in STMs/OCs/GigE.  Is a system based on not just USAGE but perhaps CONGESTION unfair?  Not inherently, and it may be more efficient, but there may be enormous overhead, and it may be counter to expectations.  Far trickier is how demand could shift in response.

Perhaps what you need is to concurrently fill several expectations - say "this 2GB backup will be done by tomorrow" and "the gaming is responsive" and "the VoIP call is good" ; you need assured outcomes - and perhaps you should be paying for those, not the bandwidth?

3) What are the options for overcoming congestion?  There are only two - add supply or reduce (perhaps shift) demand.  It's worth emphasizing a difference between power and the Net.  While it takes a few hours to ramp up *an existing coal plant*, and, as you stated, days to months to add capacity on the Net, adding generation or transmission capacity in power systems takes years.

I think that you have to accept some level of congestion and hence its effects - you need to shift load; you need to delivered assured outcomes for services (most probably at some extra cost) - you need to make sure that the income covers the costs.

Can we realistically determine marginal congestion charges?  Could or should this be by application?  I'm not sure just yet.  For one, people can spoof ports.  Overcoming such issues then requires adding layers of authentication. = $$$$.  I never cease to be underestimated by how people respond to such things.  In the 1930s, the power companies would use analog radio signals to control water boilers (peak load). And consumers were paid to participate.  Then some folks figured out all they had to do was essentially cover their antennas with foil/wire.  Viola. I don't have a sense of how complex or meaningful such granular pricing would be for the Net.  In the electricity world, a few people talk of "Prices to Devices".  That's a very fundamental shift not to be taken lightly. The same can be said for the Net (to applications).  IF we can do it in a transparent, lightweight manner, then it may be a good thing. I just don't know. Who gets to decide how to allocate scarcity?  We could allocate it equally, but we all know that the value (and price) of a bit varies in the market, going from SMS/text msgs on one hand to cable video on the other extreme.

I don't think that you can charge for congestion - congestion charging does not reward your change in behaviour what you get charged is not predictable and not dependent on your behaviour. People will not accept that as a feedback mechanism.

I think that the key is to create data streams with assured quality that can be used for the things that people value, that creates a market - this is still going to leave scarcity over the last mile - that is where the end-user gets to decide how the scarcity is managed.

 Neil

Rahul

Neil Davies wrote:
Rahul