[ NNSquad ] MIT Tech review vs the Internet

I’m resending this to include a link to the article. Video is clogging the Internet?? Sez who? That’s not really what Nemertes said.

Internet Gridlock
Video is clogging the Internet. How we choose to unclog it will have far-reaching implications.
By Larry Hardesty

http://www.technologyreview.com/images/clearpix.gif

If clicking on the title above does not work, paste the link below into your web browser:
http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20919/

After months of online discussions debunking the various myths about the Internet being just like a highway or railroad and citing the limitations of the Nemertes Study (http://www.frankston.com/?name=IPClog) it’s disappointing to read Technology Review revisiting this old ground and presenting the Internet as a series of tubes being clogged by users consuming too much “Internet”.

Do I need to again cite Andy Lippman’s observation that networking is something we do and not a service we have to buy. The question is not how do ISPs recover their costs -- the question is why we keep insisting on funding our infrastructure by charging for services instead of recognizing that the infrastructure is not a profit center. It’s a means by which we create value everywhere else in society. If you run the infrastructure for a profit all you do is assure scarcity. Creating scarcity is an amazing feat considering the abundance available at essentially no cost compared to the value.

Today’s Internet is a powerful example and implementation of the far more general concept of creating solutions by focusing on the relationships between end points outside the networking without having to depend on seeking permission or buying special status from every provider along the way. TR could be helping us understand the future rather than just reviewing past misunderstandings.