[ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] MIT Tech review vs the Internet

At 06:01 AM 7/6/2008, Bob Frankston wrote:

Do I need to again cite Andy Lippman's observation that networking is something we do and not a service we have to buy.

To revisit the automotive analogy: is driving something that we just do, without having to pay to build and maintain roads? Of course not. Our ability to "do" networking hinges on the availability of functional network infrastructure. And it's an honorable and important profession to build, operate, and maintain that infrastructure. When you're in the Boston area, which is awash in infrastructure, it's easy to forget that. But go just a few hundred miles west and ask a resident of rural western Massachusetts -- which is largely a broadband "black hole" -- whether building out the network is valuable.

Those who have subscribed to the "end to endian" dogma must remember that you cannot be an end unless there is a middle and you are connected to it.

--Brett Glass

  [ And since roads *are* so important, they are typically publicly-
    owned infrastructure and (at least in theory) maintained to
    specific standards -- even privately-owned toll roads and such
    are significantly regulated.  Is the Internet as important as
    roads within its own context?  If so, can the present largely
    laissez-faire approach to the Internet be indefinitely
    justified?