[ NNSquad ] Re: U.S. broadband adoption hits 7-year low

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 11:16, Lauren Weinstein wrote:
(Snip)
> Many people are also turned off by teaser rates that expire and result in
> suddenly ballooning bills, and the resulting battles with "retention" reps.

Indeed.

> Attempts by carriers to entangle subscribers in various complicated
> "multiple service" (e.g. "triple-play") packages (Internet, phone,
> cable, etc.) also can trigger resentment when people later realize
> how difficult it can be to extricate yourself from elements of the
> packages.  A friend of mine suggested that they'd simply drop their
> DSL service and go back to dialup if AT&T continued to insist on
> doubling their rate after the first year.  Sudden increases after
> initial teaser periods often pop up without notice and without prior
> offers of extensions or new offerings.

I got broadband (by way of Verizon) because the $14.95 a month it was going to
cost me was the same rate as I was paying for dialup at that point in time.

In late 2006,  we were without any services for a couple of months due to
circumstances,  and I won't bore anybody with the details.  On restarting
things they tried to nail me with a higher rate,  but at that time they were
also advertising that people could start from scratch at the same $14.95 a
month that I'd been paying.  I asked for and got that rate again.  There was
some noise about a year's commitment,    which I was fine with.  They said
that'd expire at some point,  but I'll make darn sure that they're not
offering that same rate to new subscribers before I pay a higher one.

> There's a lesson here.  It's likely that a significant portion of
> even the existing base of broadband subs is hanging on by a thread.

Yes.  I would put myself in this category...

> If carriers continue to play fast and loose with their subscribers or are
> perceived as limiting content competition with arbitrary bandwidth caps,
> they may learn that to many people, broadband is not as indispensable as the
> carriers have been assuming.  And that would be bad news all around.

Indeed it would,  but if that's where things go,  then it's their loss.

-
M Dakin