[ NNSquad ] Re: NYTimes: Metering the Internet

>     You virtually never see them list how many HD movies would fit
>     in their caps -- since the number would be so low.

1) The article says that Time Warner's Beaumont plan limits to a maximum of 40GB/month with $1 per GB of overage.

2) A dual-layer BluRay disc will hold 50GB of video at full length.

Time Warner's new sales pitch? "*Almost one* full length high definition movie per month and $50 per each additional HD movie!"

--Sean

  [ In fact, TW is talking about 40 GB being the *top* tier in
    nationwide deployment, with caps as low as I believe 5 GB for
    some users, plus overage charges.  Those lower caps in
    particular could be highly vulnerable to automated update
    activities combined with "ordinary" usage.  I don't think that
    the BluRay comparison is quite fair, however, since you don't
    need 50 GB to do a single HD movie.  Still, the ISPs' emphasis
    on standard definition video in their cap discussions, and never
    mentioning HD video in that context as far as I've seen -- seems
    telling.