[ NNSquad ] Re: Botnets and bandwidth caps

   This is by no means a new situation and one that has been handled both
   by business and consumer ISP's alike before now. No need to cry wolf.

First, business contracts are handled very differetnly from consumer
ones.  I don't think that we can reliably extrapolate from business to
consumer contracts here.

Second, have we really had this situation before?  The situation is:

- major ISP
- publically stated bandwidth cap
- published hard "one byte over and you're off for life" policy

In my understanding, most current ISPs have had "soft" caps where they
will work with you if there are problems (such as high usage).  And,
while I'm sure that there are ISPs that have hard caps and hard
policies, they are likely to be small.

So, I see several elements of this situation that really are new.
Whether it's crying wolf, time will tell.

Craig