[ NNSquad ] Re: NY Times: People are watching much more online video

As someone who used to work for a university's residential network, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Even as of March 2007, I was seeing 30%+ of our total bandwidth being used for flash video sites during peak hours (~6pm to midnight for our users). P2P was easy to control with a worst-effort delivery policy. There was no similar solution for flash video.

Even with access to cheap bandwidth in Seattle, the cost to increase available bandwidth tended to be cost-prohibitive. Many colleges and universities don't even have the luxury of purchasing bandwidth cheaply from major metro exchanges.

The economics of online video work out much differently for MSOs like Comcast; content-delivery networks and settlement-free peering are easy and cheap to them. It's the last mile which is the problem. For us, the problem was the exact opposite.

I see Comcast's move to cap at 250GB as a sticking their toes in the water, and perhaps trying to set a precident at the same time. I don't see a techincal reason for the caps. They don't even differentiate between outbound/inbound traffic. Considering their network architecture where last-mile egress bandwidth is so scarce, that alone makes the whole move seem like a farce.

I absolutely agree that whatever they're hedging against in the future is sure to have some anticompetive tint to it.

-Nick