[ NNSquad ] Re: NY Times: People are watching much more online video

On 31 okt 2008, at 05.27, nick hatch wrote:

I see Comcast's move to cap at 250GB as a sticking their toes in the water, and perhaps trying to set a precident at the same time. I don't see a techincal reason for the caps. They don't even differentiate between outbound/inbound traffic. Considering their network architecture where last-mile egress bandwidth is so scarce, that alone makes the whole move seem like a farce.

I'm not sure that I agree there. I don't think I've seen (which is not a synonym for "I categorically deny that it exists") a single capped service that differentiated between upstream and downstream bandwidth. Why? Support.

It's easy enough to shape the available bandwidth for each direction independently if that's what you want to do, but it's a whole other ballgame explaining a differentiated quota to millions of users.

-Nick

Kriss