[ NNSquad ] Re: nnsquad Digest, Vol 3, Issue 10

Happy I-Day!  Or should we call it O-Day?

Anyway, as for Net video, there are contradictory forces in play.  A
whole bunch of them.

On one hand, it's generally clear that when it comes to reaching
people who are either not predisposed to a particular point of view,
or even are actively hostile, you've got a better chance of getting
their attention with some forms of video than trying to get them to
plow through texts.  Of course, the hope is that once they're
interested they'll want to read more detailed materials.

But in reality, there is often no clear line of demarcation between
"entertainment" and "documentation/teaching" types of videos.  Just
ask the folks at "60 Minutes" -- or the producers of programs like
"Sesame Street" -- or some of the great shows that air on the History
or Science Channels, or the producers of PBS Nova for WGBH.  The list is
endless.  These shows are entertainment and information/documentaries/
teaching -- by design.

YouTube videos (and Net video in general) have the same capabilities,
plus they represent a much more egalitarian distribution mechanism.

There are various complaints about having to frequently update video
players, or using javascript or flash, or whatever.  These concerns
are often from people who complain that Net video isn't "seamless"
like commercial TV.  But one of the key benefits of flash and
javascript-based players is that they simplify keeping the players
current, and part of the reason that there are so many changes is the
constant march toward trying to provide that seamless experience as
the underlying Net video technology and video standards rapidly evolve.
And as a side-note, I believe that people who simply refuse to ever run
javascript or flash -- in their current forms -- due to perceived
security concerns, are overreacting these days.  I run them both,
and I certainly don't ignore security!

Then there's the people who don't really care about any of these
technical issues.  Their argument is, "All video is crap, I've never
owned a TV, I never watch TV, there's never anything worth watching on
TV," etc.  Judging from such sweeping declarations, I wouldn't be
surprised if some of these folks also object to ball point pens and
flush toilets.

Internet/Web-based video will have an increasingly major role to play
in all aspects of information dissemination.  Get used to it.