[ NNSquad ] [IP] Re: Interesting take on bandwidth capping

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:25:16 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Re:   Interesting take on bandwidth capping
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno@infowarrior.org>
Date: April 12, 2009 2:22:22 PM EDT
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior@attrition.org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: Interesting take on bandwidth capping

Bandwidth caps as a form of "DRM" or enticing people to stick with
existing modes of content delivery?  Perhaps a bit conspiracy-theory, but
an innovative explanation for such programs.  ---rf

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/time-warner-cable-internet-drm,7530.html#xtor
=RSS-181

Much like everyone reading this article, I'm a genuine supporter of
advancement in hardware and technology services. Suffice to say, I was
happy with the progression of Internet connection services over the years.
Recently, however, I would have to say that Internet connection
advancement in the U.S. and Canada has been purely an interest of the
corporations that provide them and not about serving the consumer--
you--and the advancement of technology in America in general.

In late March, I wrote an article on Tom's Hardware explaining why HDCP
(high definition content protection) is the bane of movie watchers
everywhere. Not only is HDCP an invasive technology that kills the
enjoyment of movies for enthusiasts, it does nothing to stop pirates. We
all know this to be true.

Don't think for a moment though, that big media doesn't know this--they
absolutely do. Now, they have a new plan. Since big media can't directly go
after pirates, they've decided to go after to after the group of people who
they think can't do a thing about it: anyone using an Internet connection.

< - >

Download capping is the new DRM.

It ensures several things:

- You will be more hesitant to download movies and music legitimately--
even though you've paid to watch/listen.
- You will watch more cable TV (so you can see all those great ads).
- You will accidentally pay more for less.
- Pirates get a whacking.

Big media and ISPs can't effectively eliminate piracy by going after
pirates directly or stop online video and music streaming services. So
they have a better plan now: go after everyone.