[ NNSquad ] [IP] FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National Broadband Plan

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:32:15 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National Broadband Plan
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne@warpspeed.com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: August 28, 2009 9:27:11 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy@warpspeed.com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National
Broadband Plan

FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National Broadband Plan
by: Chris Bowers
Fri Aug 28, 2009 at 16:28

<http://www.openleft.com/diary/14837/fcc-hires-industry-shill-to-develop-us-national-broadband-plan

The FCC's broadband task force is tasked with developing our national
broadband policy. This is a project that FCC Commissioner Michael Copps
ranks of the highest importance:
"I'm enthused as I can be that this country is finally, finally going to
develop a national broadband plan," Copps said Wednesday in an interview
for C-SPAN's "The Communicators" series.(...)
"We're way behind in broadband," he said. "There is a need to do something
now."

Copps said he is not underestimating the importance of the FCC's task:
"It's the biggest thing that's come to the FCC since I've been there," he
said.

And so, because our government is run by corporations and for corporations
even when it is controlled by Democrats, a telecom industry shill, Scott
Wallstein, was named as economics director of that task force.  From a
source close to the process, in the extended entry I proivde a thorough
background on Wallstein's industry connections and long history of fighting
against American consumers:

Wallsten is a guy who:
	• Has spent the last five years at three different coin-operated think
tanks.
		• Most recently with the Technology Policy Institute whose supporters
include AT&T, Comcast, T-Mobile, Time Warner Cable, Verizon
		• He previously worked for the Progress and Freedom Foundation whose
primary funders include AT&T, Comcast, Cox, NCTA, Time Warner Cable,
Verizon. (Source)
		• Before that he worked for the American Enterprise Institute/Brookings
Institution whose funders include AT&T, SBC, Verizon. ((Source)
	• Doesn't believe there is a broadband problem in America . Point 1 would
explain this belief, Here's some of the industry and GOP-friendly positions
he's taken
		• "... the U.S. does not have a broadband problem. The remarkable
investment in broadband infrastructure and rapid increases in
subscribership that have taken place suggest the market is working well.
Any policy or regulation intended to further accelerate deployment should
clearly identify and target the market failure it is intended to mitigate:"
(Source)
		• "The wireless industry exhibits no evidence of a market failure, and
regulations - especially sweeping ones of the type [Tim] Wu would like us
to consider - are likely to impose significant costs on society and
ultimately harm consumers." (Source)
		• He frequently uses long discredited FCC data to state the broadband
market is full of competition and advocates for the fingers-crossed
approach to competition. (Source and source).

[snip]RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>