[ NNSquad ] Re: FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National Broadband Plan

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:27:18 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Re:    FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National
	Broadband Plan
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bruce Kushnick" <bruce@newnetworks.com>
Date: August 30, 2009 3:21:00 AM EDT
To: <dave@farber.net>
Broadband Plan

> Richard Bennett
> Research Fellow
> Information Technology and Innovation Foundation Washington, DC

Excuse me, but who funds ITIF? The position of ITIF has been
corporate-friendly and ITIF doesn't disclose its funding sources -- though
most believe it is the telcos.

Please post a list of your funding sources.

"Broadband is a natural duopoly," counters Robert D. Atkinson, president of
the Information Technology & Innovation Foundation, a nonpartisan think
tank. Proposals to create a third competitor to take on the telecom and
cable companies in most markets, he says, are "misguided."

Excuse me, but the 'natural duopoly' was created through the misguided
decisions of the Powell-Martin FCC. It has nothing to do with the building
out the networks.

In fact, there is now ample proof that it was the independent ISPs and
CLECs
who brought the Internet boom and the largest growth in telecom history.
Neither Verizon nor now-AT&T were even in the top 10 of ISPs in 2000. DSL
was first brought out by the competitors, like Covad and Northpoint.
Telecom
has the largest growth in its history because independent ISPS and CLECs
sold lines, especially second lines.

Then in the 'intermodal era', there was an attack on competitors, from
offering them predatory pricing, sub-standard customers services, and
finally eliminating their ability to use the networks for internet or even
voice competition -- a telecom crash ensued.

Or "ITIF comments discussing the economic and technological benefits that
would result from the BellSouth-AT&T merger." === guess that didn't work
out
as planned.  http://www.itif.org/index.php?id=96

I like what Free Press wrote:
"It's hard to tell from ITIF's Web site or the group's financial
disclosures
exactly who's funding this operation. Whether Atkinson, Ph.D., is already
on
the industry payroll -- or just auditioning for the gig -- the
beneficiaries
of his efforts will undoubtedly be the biggest phone and cable companies."

Who Funds ITIF?

Who funds Teletruth? Teletruth is a for-profit advocacy group that loses
money. The main income is from New Networks research and consulting --
there
has been a grant from the California Consumer Protection Board to study
phone bills, we perform phone bill auditing of small businesses where we
get
back monies because of telco mistakes, and class action suit settlements
where we helped to create the cases and act as experts. ---Did you know
that
10% of the special access lines customers are paying for are missing or
that
Verizon forgot to give discounts to 40% of small businesses in New Jersey?
We take no money from corporations unless disclosed, and we are
politically
neutral as Tom Allibone, the main auditor, is a conservative republican.

Who funds ITIF?

Bruce Kushnick.