[ NNSquad ] Re: L.A. Times Biz Section/Lazarus: "We can't be neutral on net neutrality"

That's a nicely nuanced position, Vint, and one that I generally agree with. Since it's rather sharply at odds with the approach taken by the Markey bill, it would be helpful for the process if you were to come out publicly in opposition to Markey's overly-restrictive approach.

Vint Cerf wrote:
I prefer to emphasize the need for non-discriminatory service, providing access to internet services on equal terms for all application providers and especially consumers. Does this mean that the access provider cannot charge more for larger capacity? No, I think it is reasonable for a consumer and application provider to pay more for higher capacity (preferably measured in maximum bits/second, not measured in volume of bytes transferred). Access providers who impose limits based on total bytes transferred (e.g. per month) do not really reflect the constraints on their system's capacity. the capacity limit has to do more with the rate of data transfer than with the volume. Bits per second, not bytes per month. If applications require distinct classes of service (e.g. low latency), I think it is quite permissible to offer such services. But, as Lauren argues, I think these options must be equally available to all application service providers and consumers. This does not require that all packets be treated equally. It does require that all users be provided equal access to such preferential services. I agree with Lauren's point that the provider of access services (especially broadband, by whatever definition we end up for "broadband") not discriminate against competing application providers by favoring the access provider's services over those of competitors. In rough terms, this means that the underlying Internet access should be equally accessible among competitors.

The rationale for this treatment is to maintain the open networking effect that allows new application providers to introduce new applications without discrimination, thereby maintaining an ecosystem that is friendly to innovation. I hope you will note that the proposal above does not prohibit access providers from responding to denial of service attacks or managing congestion. I also allows them to offer differentiated services but in such a way that competing application providers are not disadvantaged merely because they are not the providers of access facilities.

A key question is when differentiated access services become discriminatory. If we are unable to define this point clearly, then another option in legislation is to provide for a process in which anti-competitive and discriminatory access practices can be adjudicated. Of particular concern is that users of the Internet have the freedom to choose what application providers they wish to use without discrimination or interference by the access providers.

vint