[ NNSquad ] Re: L.A. Times Biz Section/Lazarus: "We can't be neutral on net neutrality"

Great explanation Vint.  So you're saying it's ok to charge more for better
service, then can I assume that you are opposed to the Markey (any version)
Net Neutrality bill which prohibits charging more for better priority?

I do take big exception with your assertion that it's not ok to charge by
volume.  Your own Richard Whitt has stated that usage caps are a superior
alternative to network management last year.  Every broadband provider in
the world, either implicitly or explicitly implements usage caps.  If you go
over the cap (I prefer the disclosed explicit caps rather than the
undisclosed implicit caps), you're either billed more money or you're given
a warning.  If you continue to exceed the cap, then the provider stops
taking your business.

The same is true of server access.  My colocation server costs me $50/month
(which is very cheap for a 1U server) with 100 Mbps Ethernet connection.
That includes the rack space, electricity, basic support, AND BANDWIDTH.
The ONLY reason I can get this great service at this low price is that I not
exceed 1000 GB of data transfers a month or I would get billed for each
additional GB used per month.  But that's absolutely wonderful for me since
I hardly need to transfer more than 400 GB per month, and I get this very
responsive burstable Internet connection that rockets to 100 Mbps.

I also have the option of buying a DEDICATED 100 Mbps circuit with no usage
volume caps for $1100 per month
(http://www.dedicatedserverstore.com/Colo_dedicatedlines.html).  Our
organization, unlike Google, can't afford to pay that kind of money.  So are
you honestly suggesting that the 1000 GB usage cap pricing option not be
available to a little guy like me?  If that's the case, then you're
effectively putting me and every other small org or business out of business
Vint.  You're effort to save me from "discrimination" is killing me.

Furthermore, Access Providers have invested in private circuits and
facilities just like Google has invested a lot of money in private circuits
and facilities.  Those Access Providers use those circuits that THEY BUILT
AND PAID FOR to offer reliable TV services so that they can stay in business
and have sufficient revenue to invest in our next generation broadband
infrastructure.  Are you now suggesting that we need a bill like Markey III
which would outlaw and confiscate these private circuits so that they could
be given to the public Internet?  If so, would you also support opening up
some of Google's "private transmission capacity" (as Markey III puts it) to
me and every other small organization and business on the Internet so that
we have the ability to get some equal access to the Internet?

George