[ NNSquad ] Re: L.A. Times Biz Section/Lazarus: "We can't be neutral on net neutrality"

True -- I treat "neutrality" as an emergent property rather than as something that is achievable in its own right

If we think of the neutrality debate as a gedankin (thought) experiment then one is pulled back to either the status quo or all the way to the infrastructure model.

I do understand the concern that I’m being unrealistic but we’ve had lots of experience with such transitions. I’m being pragmatic. We can talk abstractly about paradigm shifts but we can also be concrete to see the effort of decouplings – hardware/software, transport/content. We don’t need to limit ourselves to bits – we can look at container shipping bringing a similar transition to the transport of physical goods. We can look at the transition of roads from private pikes to public roads or public transportation from profit centers (IRT/BMT in NYC) to infrastructure (MTA in NYC and elsewhere).

We have the history of divestiture in 1984 and today’s situation in which the funding model and franchise agreements are starting to unravel (http://frankston.com/?n=DumbPipes) as well as the stories about Verizon and Time-Warner shifting to more IP based distribution. For that matter I had a recent problem with my Verizon STBs – they weren’t getting IP addresses so I fixed it by rebooting my router.

So we’re already making the transition but we’re clinging to a funding model that is no longer viable.

I’m just being pragmatic – I view the idea that the current funding system can keep functioning as dysfunctionally idealistic.