[ NNSquad ] Terminology (and 767s)

I don't think that it's very useful to get hung up on the arguments
about how the term "Network Neutrality" is defined in a formal sense,
since as used these days it represents more of a philosophical
umbrella term (much like "universal health care") than a technical
term, despite its likely first wide use in relation to particular
aspects of "Brand X" and such.

In practice, any serious discussions of "network neutrality" issues
will always by necessity include references to specific technological,
business, or other aspects of the Internet, ISPs, etc. -- and it's
on those specifics that I believe we should concentrate our efforts.

That's not to say that words don't matter.  Note the term "bandwidth
caps" for example.  The term is now widely used to reference any sort
of limit on a customer's Internet usage, including "hard caps" (e.g.,
100 GB/month).  But properly speaking (as some earlier discussion on
this list today noted) a bandwidth cap is perhaps more accurately
defined in terms of (possibly varying) limits on available customer
Internet transport resources for given units of time.  On the other
hand, the term "usage cap" may be more appropriate when discussing
"hard caps" of total data usage beyond which customers may have
service restricted or be subject to additional (likely measured rate)
data charges.

Finally, in a message that passed through the list earlier today,
mention was made of Google in relation to a "767 party plane."  Just
as a point of information, as far as I know the only "Google related"
767 flying around -- sometimes referred to in the media as a "party
plane" -- was *personally* purchased by Google founders Sergey Brin
and Larry Page from their own monies, and was *not* a corporate purchase
by Google.  I fully support Larry and Sergey's right to spend their
money in any legal manner that they choose, and any attempts by
commentators to inappropriately conflate a personal purchase with
Google, Inc. corporate purchase policies seems highly inappropriate.