[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

I don't see where Comcast is being transparent about *how* they do this, or giving customers a chance to opt-in or -out.

If I send a lot of email, why does that make me a "bot"? Maybe I just send a lot of email.

If the contents of my communications are being "scanned", why is that legal? Why does Comcast care?

I might choose (if it were explained to me what was happening and what the risks are to my privacy or being accused of a crime or hauled off as a "suspected child pornographer" because I sent pictures of my naked child) to have this service, or not.

But to be honest, in most markets, Comcast is the only real choice, and imposing their "features" on me might not be what I want, even if they "market" it as a *good thing*. If there were serious competition (multiple providers, and no special "franchise" deals with local governments that block new competitors, perhaps customers would have a choice. However, most do not have other choice for highspeed Internet, except Hobson's: "take that or nothing at all").

I'm really not impressed by these moves by Comcast. Livingood already sent out an email saying that they redirect DNS service to a service that sends certain names to hosts that do not have those names registered, but which will respond with advertising-only websites.

This is not the way the Internet is designed to work.

Comcast supposedly cleaned up its act. Now it's backsliding - forcing secret and invasive services on customers. On day one, they will "love it" (especially in the Comcast-authored press release).

     [ I am personally willing to give Comcast the benefit of the
	doubt for the moment on this project and see where it leads.
	It could potentially be useful, but it would also be easy for
	Comcast to overplay its hand.

       A number of possible issues:

       - How intrusive will monitoring be?  Will packet payloads be scanned?
         If so, this likely is immediately a serious privacy problem.

       - How often will their scanning operations trigger firewall
	  or other protective alerts that users already have
	  installed?

       - False positives?  Non-evil bots and other innocent
         applications falsely categorized as evil bots?

       - Legit e-mail sending daemons categorized as spam senders?

       Notifications: The implication is that they plan a browser pop
	up.  That may mean interfering directly with the TCP/IP
	stream.  True, this shouldn't happen frequently to any given
	user for such security notices, but once Comcast has such a
	capability (if that is indeed their methodology) the
	inclination to use it for other less critical purposes as well
	could be strong.

       I think the success of this project will depend largely on how
	transparent Comcast is about exactly what they're doing and
	how they react to any problems that their system may cause.
	If Comcast takes a "We can't tell you exactly what we're doing
	because that would reveal too much to the bad guys" approach
	then we potentially could have a significant dilemma on our
	hands.