[ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast's "Evil Bot" Scanning Project (Lauren Weinstein)

David,

I share your concern about browser hijacking as a form of user notification
and authentication.  It's a hack and it tends to break things, including
security.  One puts up with it on hotel networks and similar because one has
no choice, but it would be troubling to see it become commonplace on paid
Internet subscriptions.

To be fair, we should talk about what the altneratives are -- are there better
technical options than browser hijacking?  Has anyone tried to define a
network-related notification protocol, possibly as part of DHCP?  What would
it look like, and could it be done securely?  Do people on this list think
that ISPs should be using email or phone calls instead to inform their users
of important facts like apparent botnet infection?

On your other point David, I've also had plenty of problems from Comcast's DNS
based advertising.  In the past few weeks I've seen legitimate browser
requests to sites including wikipedia.org, openstreatmap.org and
singaporeairlines.com hijacked by it.  I suspect that the root problem is in
Comcast's DNS infrastructure (I do have a NAT router as my first-hop DNS, but
it's hard to see how it could be the cause of a DNS query failure *and* get
the advertising server's IP at the same time).  Perhaps Jason or someone else
from Comcast could comment?

PS -- there's a cautionary lesson to be learned from the BareFruit story (see
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/04/isps-error-page/ ); the
takehome lesson there is that XSS vulnerabilities in these advertising
services can allow remote attackers to steal an ISP's customers' passwords to
arbitrary websites.

--
Peter Eckersley                            pde@eff.org
Staff Technologist                Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131