Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:54:25 -0500
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] darn good question     21bn to buy back spectrum from tv
	companies
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Doug Humphrey <doug@joss.com>
Date: December 22, 2009 9:44:35 PM EST
To: dave@farber.net
Cc: "ip" <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Subject: Re: [IP] 21bn to buy back spectrum from tv companies

I don't understand why the government is paying to
get this spectrum "back".  I do not BELIEVE that this
was "purchased" by the TV industry (although I could
be incorrect on this).  I thought that it was being used
by the Broadcast industry for TV, under requirements
to provide "public services" as part of their operations,
and since they are no longer using it, the spectrum
should belong to the US Government to re-use in
whatever way they deem in the public interest.  Yes?

doug