[ NNSquad ] Re: No One Is Going To Save You Fools

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:43:26 -0500
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Re: No One Is Going To Save You Fools
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne@warpspeed.com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: December 22, 2009 12:20:39 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy@warpspeed.com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Re: No One Is Going To Save You Fools

[Note:  This comment comes from reader John Quarterman.  DLH]

Subject: Re: No One Is Going To Save You Fools
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:21:13 -0500
To: dewayne-net@warpspeed.com
From: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq@quarterman.org>

Bob is right about the right's story, and that works for the right, because the right is about tribal us against them.

But to win on matters like net neutrality a more inclusive story is needed, non-zero-sum, participatory, about community. Because that's what the Internet enables: participation on a scale never before seen, fueling innovation that increases the size of the pie for everyone. This "we" which really is all of us does deserve participation because we really do all work for it, even if we're only chatting on facebook. We are bigger than the right wing we: we are large, we contain multitudes.

This is not to say such stories can't include enemies. Barbarians at the gates would work well against teabaggers, and clueless dupes even better. Fox makes hay claiming Congress has been bought off by health insurers, but neglects to mention that opponents of health care reform are among the biggest recipients of health insurance company contributions. Proponents could have (and still could) play up those angles.

This is all relevant to net neutrality. What industry spends even more lobbying Congress than health insurers? Telecoms.

And net neutrality and Internet freedom and participation and innovation, and even more the sorts of radical rethinking that Bob proposes, getting rid of the telecommunications mindset and getting into radically decentralized participation; all these are about the mutually-benevolent community against fat cat corruption.

Hell, we're even trying to help the telecoms! On the path they're on, they'll end up being like GM when NTT comes in and sells 100Mbps FTTH that actually works for a reasonable price. 50 years ago Motown was the industrial leader of the world; now Detroit is a ghost town. On Internet time it won't take that long for the duopoly to gut themselves and us if we let them. So let's use the Internet to stop them.

There's a story I don't see told often enough.

-jsq

PS: See Robert Reich about the Four Stories of American Life: <http://robertreich.blogspot.com/2008/02/obama-vs-mccain-and-four-stories-of.html>

RSS Feed: <http://www.warpspeed.com/wordpress>