[ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] Nuclear War' in Patent Fight With HTC -- you can't run that App

Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:03:32 -0600
From: Rich Truex <truexr@gmail.com>
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: [IP] Nuclear War' in Patent Fight With HTC --
	you can't run that App
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501@bobf.frankston.com>
Cc: nnsquad@nnsquad.org, Donald Norman <don@jnd.org>,
	Dan Bricklin <danb@bricklin.com>,
	Bob Frankston <bob2-39@bobf.frankston.com>, ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

*I was curious why patents last 17 (actually 20)  years and found this.  It
seems another example of how our laws in the analog world have become
outdated in our digital world.  We need to update our laws to take into
account digital "property" (the DRM issue Bob mentioned) and the fact that
patents today are not protecting Masters from their apprentices...unless
Apple is the master and all others are apprentices.*

*
*

*How long does a patent last?*

Patents last 20 years from the date of filing of the first patent
application that includes the claimed invention. Patent lifespans used to be
17 years from the date of issuance, but that term was changed by the General
Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) agreement in 1995. Older applications
are subject to a grandfather clause that gives them the later of two
possible expiration dates.

*How did they come up with 17 years?*

Back in the days of yore, people apprenticed themselves to master tradesmen
to learn a trade. The apprenticeship lasted for seven years. Out of custom
and courtesy, the apprentice would not practice any special little tricks or
techniques, those secrets that his master had taught him that weren’t
generally known in the trade (i.e. inventions), for a period of two
apprenticeships, or fourteen years, after the apprenticeship ended. The
abstinence period assumed that the master had developed his inventions smack
dab in the middle of the seven year apprenticeship, or
three-and-a-half-years before it ended. The total length of time that an
ex-apprentice would refrain from using his master’s inventions was therefore
(3 ? + 7 + 7) years, or 17 ? years. Rounding down gave a 17 year monopoly
for the inventor.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501@bobf.frankston.com

Richard Truex
truexr@gmail.com