[ NNSquad ] Re: FBI using fake Facebook profiles

Lauren Weinstein wrote:
FBI using fake Facebook profiles

http://bit.ly/8X7jWD (Huffington)

Personally I don't have a problem with this. Cops have been allowed to lie to suspects since forever. Why should it be any less legal for a cop to pretend to be (e.g.) a drug buyer on Twitter than face-to-face?

[Not that I approve of drug laws, but doing it in cyberspace doesn't make it worse -- which is one of our great mantras: that porn on the net is no worse than porn in stores, etc.]

I do agree with EFF that the government should disclose its policies about these things. Not that it will make a difference, but just so that we know what our government, which governs "by the consent of the governed" is doing.