From: nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org
[mailto:nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org] On Behalf Of
Tony Aiuto
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 14:33
To: Lauren Weinstein; nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Comcast likes the FCC Broadband Plan (and other
reactions)

The thing to stress is that government funded internet should be no
different than government funded roads.    Both are many-to-many
interconnection methods, whereas broadcast radio and TV are
one-to-many.   The bits carried on the net are just stuff in a truck.
Existing commerce laws should provide the start of the model for
what we can carry in that truck.  (And I say "start of the model"
because our state-based commerce framework is a little brain dead
to begin with.)

OTOH, I would love to see it a Federal crime to physically attack
the infrastructure, by let's say, digging up a fiber trunk with a back-hoe.
:-)

    [ The road analogy is utterly reasonable and logical.

      However, given Congress' previous attempts to control Internet
      content (and some of these are not "completely [all] dead" in
      the "Miracle Max" sense - http://bit.ly/bNHRaE [YouTube]), and
      the political popularity of content and other Internet controls
      in law enforcement and political spheres, I would personally not
      want to bet our civil liberties on "reasonable and logical"
      necessarily winning out over "politically expedient" when
      Congress in general and taxpayer funding in particular are involved.

            -- Lauren Weinstein
               NNSquad Moderater ]

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:43 AM, George Ou
<george_ou@lanarchitect.net>wrote:

> " Once taxpayer funds are involved, Weinstein added, there will likely
>  be significant pressure on legislators to control content, just as
>  pro-life activists fought to prevent public funding of abortions."
>
> I really don't think we can stress this point enough.  The current
Internet