[ NNSquad ] Re: ICANN helps China censor Internet. Root servers leak censored DNS replies outside Great Firewall

see comments below ....

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM, McTim <dogwallah@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Joe Baptista <baptista@publicroot.org>
> wrote:
> > I came across a very interesting article today.
> >
> > http://bit.ly/bZbkB1
>
> We have been discussing this on DNS Ops.   I think that "I" operator
> has shut down that node until they can figure out what is going on.
>
> I don't understand why you want to drag ICANN into this, it's nothing
> to do with them.  They are not aiding or abetting anyone in China who
> is messing with DNS replies.

If that is the case that neither ICANN nor China are involved as has been
reported in some cases - then it means the root was hijacked. Thats just as
serious as what is being reported. I have already speculated on the GA the
incident could be the work of hackers - http://bit.ly/d1nS45 - then again
this may be an inside job to push the DNSSEC agenda.

regards
joe baptista

    [ "Inside job?"  Man, the DNS is pretty nightmarish these days,
       but let's try not to get *too* paranoid ...