[ NNSquad ] Re: This Is Why People Hate the Phone Company, AT&T

----- Forwarded message from Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com> -----

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:06:23 -0700
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>
Subject: Re: [IP] re  WORTH READING  This Is Why People Hate the Phone Company,
	AT&T - Tested
To: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>

Dave,

When a friend at Bell Labs first briefed me many, many moons ago about
the plans for cellular phones, I remember saying to him, "Man,
eventually you'll end up with a base station antenna on every
residential block!"  He suggested that they didn't expect so many
subscribers that antenna placements would be a big problem ...

We can argue radio ERP all we want, but I know that I'd feel at least
a bit uncomfortable living in an apartment with one of those antenna
arrays a few 10s of feet from my bedroom 24/7.  Yeah, when I was an
active amateur radio guy there was a lot of RF from those
handie-talkies, but not at microwave frequencies day in and day out.

And let's not totally discount the negative esthetics of antennas
going up pretty much everywhere.  When you drive or ride some of the
suburban or rural canyons around L.A., you'll often find that just
about literally every damn utility pole is plastered with every shape
and style of ugly cell antennas with tangled hanging wiring, circuit
boxes, meter boxes, and a bunch of thick snaking cables that represent
the cellular instrumentality for the various carriers -- who of course
mostly can't share their equipment.  It's ugly as hell.

Now, admittedly one doesn't expect utility poles to be pretty, but the
sense that the installs were done by "Jethro Bodine" Cell Services is
overwhelming.  No wonder some communities get all bent out of shape
over this stuff, even while they simultaneously clamor for better
cell coverage.

There's a lot of duplication and waste in these setups, even as the
FCC seems hell bent on doing more wireless deployments even in those
areas where facility sharing of existing infrastructure would make far
more sense, bring competition online much faster, and potentially be
more eco-friendly in terms of resource usage as well.  But we know
who doesn't want to share, even though they got to where they are
today by virtue of monopoly privileges and associated facilities
that are still paying off big-time for them today.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren@vortex.com
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
   - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
   for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

----- End forwarded message -----