Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:53:44 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Re:    This Is Why People Hate the Phone Company, AT&T
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bruce Kushnick" <bruce@newnetworks.com>
Date: March 29, 2010 8:03:28 PM EDT
To: "'Dana Spiegel'" <dana@nycwireless.net>, "'George Ou'" <george.c.ou@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Dave Farber'" <dave@farber.net>

The thing of ‘why people hate the phone company” ---

a)     Verizon has been able to get local rate increases to fund “fiber optics’ in many states – so they are simply failing to upgrade the utility, but get utility customers to pay for the upgrades.  – in New York there has been a 90% increase to local phone rates and associated services like call waiting since 2004 --- thanks Verizon.
b)     Verizon’s advertisments on their packages are essentially fraud… They advertise a $79 dollar ‘promotional price, but don’t tell the customer that when it comes there’s an additional 35%+ in extra fees, which are mandatory and should have been in the advertised price – and when you call Verizon to ask about what the service will cost after the promotion they say – Oh, we can’t tell you that… there’s too many other factors involved --- and we can’t calculate the other charges you will incur ---

B.