From: nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org [mailto:nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org] On Behalf Of Rich Kulawiec
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 14:38
To: Lauren Weinstein
Cc: nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: FW: [ga] the future .. DNS National Security and the ICANN clowns

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 03:29:33PM -0700, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

> Comments either way, anyone?

There was just an extensive discussion about this on dns-operations

in February.  I've put a Unix mbox-style archive of it here:

      http://www.firemountain.net/~rsk/curve.mbox

for those who wish to read it.  The most succinct and apropos comment

appears to me to have come from Crist Clark, and it reads in part:

> This argument is going to go nowhere. There is no point in pretending

> that DNSCurve is in anyway a substitute or competitor to DNSSEC.

> As the DNSCurve IETF draft says,

>    DNSCurve only provides link-level security between a client-server

>    pair.  It does not attempt to ensure end-to-end security for queries

>    and responses relayed by untrusted DNS proxies and caches.

> Whereas end-to-end security is the purpose of DNSSEC. In DNSSEC, anyone

> can verify the authenticity of a RR from its source. In DNSCurve,

> you know the response was actually from the server you queried, and

> it's just "trust me" for all of the magic behind that recursive

> resolver.

However, there are many other illuminating comments in that discussion

thread, so I urge those interested to read the entire thing.

---Rsk

   [ Without addressing DNSSEC technical issues at this point,

     I can't avoid the increasingly overwhelming sense that

     we're building enormously complex edifices on a foundation

     that was never designed to support such structures, and

     that it is turning to quicksand as a result, putting at

     risk much of what we've built -- and especially putting

     Internet services and consumers at risk.

     To my way of thinking, this suggests that it's time to

     "radically" rethink the existing pardigms, rather than keep

     piling more and more complicated "stuff" on top of an already

     overburdened and collapsing pile.  And I mean this not only in a

     technical sense, but in both a public interest and political

     sense as well.

     I'll have more to say about this shortly.