[ NNSquad ] Re: [OIA] Fwd: [IP] The myth of title ii reclassification

I want to be clarify one point that Erik made. SS7 is not IP. What is true is that SS7 and IP have similar roles in being the basis for two approaches. They both use packets but very differently.

SS7 is the defining protocols for the “Intelligent” telecom network. It’s concerned with assuring that the appropriate resources are available and sets up a voice circuit. (There are also other services but I want to keep things simple). The is designed to carefully manage scarce recourses. If the resources are not available you get a circuit busy signal. This is QoS – quality or nothing.

IP is a very different concept. It is about best efforts packet delivery. No promises – if you want a voice call give it a try and if you’re lucky it works. We get confused because given sufficient quantity we have enough packets available so we can act as if it’s a guarantee. This is reasonable because the SS7 guarantee is hedged – there can still be failures and the voice path may have segments not under control as with analog and shared segments.

Most of the technical description is premised on the SS7 and that’s the world of the FCC regulations.

IP is very different. Concepts like out-of-bound might exist in some protocols but are not fundamental. Packets are just packets. Since the application and meanings are outside the network they don’t really fit into the telecom model. Hence all the machinations in trying to fit a protocol where packets have no intrinsic meaning and no guarantees into the telecom model in which all the meaning and roles are defined in the network.

There is severe cognitive dissonance. And plenty of billable hours for lawyers. I can’t comment on the title stuff. It has nothing to do with IP per se – it’s all about pretending nothing has changed when everything has.