From: nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org [mailto:nnsquad-bounces+nnsquad=bobf.frankston.com@nnsquad.org] On Behalf Of Bob Frankston
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 18:55
To: 'Lauren Weinstein'; nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: Privacy Questions About the New "Google Cloud Print" Service

   [ Please see my comments below -- Lauren ]

I agree that this is the wrong direction - it takes the idea of "Networks as

a Service" to the next level by making us more dependent upon a centralized

service. It is the anti-Internet making us more dependent upon a middle.

Instead we should have a protocols that allow us to have a direct

relationship between end points. The problem with NATs is the protocol and

instead of adding another layer of dependency we need protocols which

support such direct relationships.

As you note what happens in an emergency when I need to print and can't get

out of the local network? Imagine if you can't turn on a light in your house

without consulting a central server like the DNS. It's a bug not a feature.

Same goes for Schlage which wants to wants to charge me $13 month for their

smart door likes - I can't change who can open the door without going

through their central service.

Is Google joining Cisco and the carriers in making us increasingly dependent

upon their omnipresence and benevolence so they can monetize us? Sure seems

that way.

Communities that available themselves of Google Apps should be very afraid.

    [ Bob,

      With all due respect, your reply in this case has pushed the

      needle somewhat into the "rant" zone.  Google explicitly has

      solicited comments on their cloud printing plans -- which to me

      says that they are not engraved in stone.  I believe that a

      reasonable case (as I noted in my original message) can be made

      that in spite of the considerable benefits that cloud printing

      can bring, there is also a need for some level of native basic

      print capabilities for a number of reasons.

      You might consider waiting until Google responds on these issues

      before launching headfirst into an "Evil Google/Cisco" tirade.

      As for monetization, keep in mind that Google also explicitly

      assumes that they will not be the only organization providing

      cloud print processing.  You could presumably set one up, if you

      wish.  But I would argue that irrespective of who runs the cloud

      printing operation, there are still considerations that make

      native printing an important design element as a fall-back or

      "high security" choice in various situations and for suitably

      capable devices.

      Your trying to scare communities from Google Apps is

      increasingly nonsensical given the real world of municipal

      governments and budgets these days.  Even large cities like L.A.

      have proven themselves incapable of reliably operating their

      local IT infrastructures with available budgets and personnel,

      and the privacy and security risks in that situation are pretty

      awful.  Local doesn't mean panacea.

      So both with the printing situation in particular and IT more

      generally, it's a matter of ideally not being locked wholly into

      narrow (often emotionally-laden) pardigms, but rather having the

      appropriate options available for each given situation.  Easier

      said than done, of course.