[ NNSquad ] Microsoft debuts "Fix It" program

Microsoft debuts "Fix It" program

"The software basically adds the automatic diagnostics system in
 Windows 7 to older versions of Microsoft's operating system.  The
 software, currently available as a trial or beta version, is intended
 for users of Windows XP and Vista."

http://bit.ly/a6TkPP  (BBC)

 - - -

Don't tell anyone, but a chunk of the source code for this program was
leaked to me last night.  Here it is:

   /* Help user with a non-trivial system problem */
   printf("Sorry, we are unable to repair your problem at this time.\n");
   if (problem_counter > 1) {
      printf("Please visit http://www.ubuntu.com/ for information about");
      printf("continued effective use of your system.\n");
      report_lost_another_one();
      cleanup(0);
      exit(666);
   }

Jokes aside, I've seen the Windows 7 diagnostic tool in action, and its
suggested fixes (especially for driver problems) have tended to cause
more problems than they solve.

On the other hand -- to be fair -- Win 7 appears to be a vast
improvement over Vista, and on some older hardware can even outperform
XP -- which did surprise me.  If you need to run Windows apps,
upgrading to Win 7 from XP (and certainly from Vista) should be
strongly considered if the hardware capabilities are suitable.

Still, no matter how improved it is, Win 7 ain't Linux.